Monday, April 2, 2007

Stalker-Fan-Geek

I’ve tried avoiding this blog for three days. As Alyson so aptly put it, this blog is about the people you hope to see and somehow manage not be total stalker-fan-geek over at the RWA nationals.

We’ll get to why I’ve been avoiding it in a minute.

First, I have to tell you that four of us (maybe 5) here at Affairs are headed to our first RWA National Convention in Dallas this July. We’re going to be roomies. I’m sure it will be eye-opening (the conference, not being roomies) to our little pre-published group.

We’ve discussed a few times the authors we’d love to meet there. And I can just see us sneaking around corners to get close enough to maybe get an autograph from the likes of Nora. (Not really. None of us are stalkers. Calm down, Nora.)

However, having been a big book geek my whole life, I do have a few authors who I’d love to meet. Some of them aren’t necessarily the ones whose books I rush out to buy on release day. They are, however, women who’ve made a mark on a challenging industry, who are successful, and from whom I’d love to hear some words of wisdom.

Who are they? See this was the hard part – the avoid-the-blog part. I’d love to meet several writers, but since this is The Six, I’ve finally managed to narrow it down.

1. Nora. Sixteen Million a year. A gazillion books. Movie deals. Need I say more.

2. J.K. Rowling. It is unlikely she'll be there since this is a Romance Writers’ Convention, but maybe she’ll be there getting ideas for an adult series. (Right. But a girl can dream.) (Ok – and if she is there, just for the record, I might be total stalker-geek-fan.)

3. Sherilyn Kenyon. She’s built her own little Dark Hunter empire. And she writes historicals under the name Kinley McGregor. She was essentially black-balled early in her career (at least that’s the story I heard or read somewhere). I’d like to meet someone who persevered through all that to become as successful as she is.

4. J.R. Ward. I’ve never met anyone with an imagination like hers. I’d love to know how she built her world. Was it established before she began to write or does she build as she goes? And just how many books was her contract for? Oh, and what a unique voice.

5. Suzanne Brockmann. She’s brilliant. She has brilliant characters that I swear must be real. ‘Nough said.

6. Karen Marie Moning. I just want to tell her how much I love her books.

There it is. If I can only meet 6, that’s them.

Who would you pick?

Macy

1 comment:

Jude said...

I totally did the fangirl babble over Kim Harrison last year.

Have fun at National! I look forward to your posts on the experience. :) I have added your blog to the blogroll for Blogging National.