Monday, April 16, 2007

Macy's recs for snobs against romance

This weekend’s blog is tough. We are picking the six romance novels we would recommend to a romance snob – someone who thinks romance is drivel and won’t read it, not ever! What six books would we recommend to change his/her mind?

I think this can be approached two ways. First, you could recommend books that could be passed off as literary fiction or “mainstream women’s fiction.” You could throw out safe picks like The Notebook by James Patterson or The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller. However, these are technically not what I’d call romance. They are romantic and deal with themes of love, but they are not romances. Romance readers everywhere would agree with me on that one. Since this doesn’t seem quite fair, you could take the second approach. Hand them actual romances to read. Hand them books that can not be construed as anything else. Of course, on the second tactic, you would likely have to secure a promise from the snob to read all six before passing judgment. That way she wouldn’t just drop them anonymously at the used bookstore prior to ever giving them a chance.

So, let us assume that said snob has reluctantly (of course) agreed to read six romance novels of our choosing. I’m sure this took much bribing since book snobs seem to forever select books based on some preconceived notion that certain books, no matter how good the story, are of lesser quality due to the way they are marketed – romance, mystery, western, YA, etc. Really, isn’t the categorization of books similar to the way we class people? (Think back to sixth grade. Geeks. Jocks. Cheerleaders. Wannabees. Goths. Holy Rollers.) Take the time to get to know them all and what do you find? Some gems in every group. And some rotten apples in all of them, too.

So what six gems would I choose to give my romance snob friend? Since I actually have quite a few friends that are of the scholarly intellectual type who only read books that Oprah recommends or that were written by dead white guys, I took some time to carefully consider this. Also, I will admit that I’m not one of those women that grew up sneaking my mom’s Harlequin’s. (My mom doesn’t read fiction, and no one in my house ever read a romance. See, I grew up in the pit of book snobbery! However, my dad read every western he could get his hands on!) Anyway, I’ve discovered in writing this blog that I’m not as well read as I’d like to be. That’s something on which I’ll work. However, from my limited repertoire, here are my six.

1. Match Me if You Can by Suzanne Elizabeth Phillips is a funny, laugh-out-loud, feel good book. (I’m pretty sure you could pick up just about any of her contemporaries. She’s on all the “top” lists.) It’s is superbly written with larger than life characters that lend warmth and sincerity to the story. If you can’t laugh along with this great romantic comedy, then maybe the dead white guys are a safer (and much more boring) pick.

2. The Admiral’s Bride by Suzanne Brockmann is one of my all time favorite books. Suzanne creates characters that pop off the page. You become so involved in the lives and problems of these people that it’s impossible to stop turning the pages. If you can put down this book, then you must not watch many prime time TV dramas. They could make a whole season out of this book. The could even get the season-ending cliff-hanger, making the first episode of season two the must see event of the fall.

3. Linda Howard. Read either MacKenzie's Mountain, MacKenzie's Mission, or MacKenzie's Magic. Linda has been writing for long time. On most lists that I looked at, these books are in the top 50 romance novels of all time. I’ve read MacKenzie’s Mission and have to say that she does sexual tension better than almost anyone I’ve ever read. MacKenzie’s Mountain is on my iPod, waiting for a good listen. I’m pretty sure all three are “can’t put downs”.

4. Try new writer, J.R.Ward, if you lean toward the horror/fantasy side. Horror and fantasy and sci fi readers read partly because of the world the writers create. She creates a fabulous world. I’ve read three of her four books. I bought the second, third, and fourth the day they came out. Start with Dark Lover so you know what is going on. However, my fav is Lover Awakened. Zadist is one of my favorite all time romance heroes.

5. Debbie Macomber. I love her. I’ve never read one of her books that I didn’t like. The Shop on Blossom Street and any of her Cedar Cove series are a good place to start. Perhaps the snob should start with these books. They are romance and women’s fiction and a good Lifetime movie all rolled up together.

6. Finally, for pure, straight romance (not romantic comedy, paranormal, or suspense, but just good romantic writing) try Sandra Brown’s Sunny Chandler’s Return. I picked it up on the way to the airport. I’ve since purchased several other books by her – all good, but this one was wonderful.

Okay – snobs. Let me know what you think. Happy reading.

Macy

No comments: