Monday, April 2, 2007

Alyson's Stalker-Geek-Fan List

As Macy explained in her post, this week we are listing the people we hope to see and somehow manage not to be total stalker-fan-geeks about when we go to the RWA conference in July. The Rita and Golden Heart Contest finalists were being announced when I came up with that and I was feeling the excitement, hoping to join their ranks in the future, preferably sooner rather than later. I also had finally come full circle and embraced my inner Romance Writer Diva. A writer is what I am -- a romance writer. No ifs, ands or buts.

Now, I'm having an impossible time choosing six. How can I limit it to six? There are icons. Favorite authors. Beloved teachers. The amazing blog writers. The chick lit phenoms who pulled me into this gig at long last after I had avoided writing for years -- to whom I will always be grateful. But Macy kept it to six so I am going to try to do the same.

1. Kathleen Woodiwiss
It all starts with The Flame and the Flower and Shanna-- the first two romance novels I ever read. Back in January, I did a Saturday Sixteen of favorite intermediate fiction/young adult novels and I mentioned them because they introduced me to rollicking romance in my early teens. This woman was a ground-breaker with tenacity. I haven't read those two books in many, many years but they rocked my world.

2. Nora Roberts
Sixteen Million a year. A gazillion books. Movie deals. Need I say more? If that sounds familiar, it's because I copied it word for word from Macy. I will add a couple of things -- Nora is cool. She loves writing. She advocates for romance every chance she gets. She's an icon.

3. Susan Elizabeth Phillips
My biggest influence. My romantic comedy writing goddess. The one whose books I have on a special easy-access shelf. The recipient of the Romance Writers of America's Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006. I love her books. Love them! My fave is her latest. You haven't read it? You haven't read Natural Born Charmer?

You're missing out. Here are a handful of reviews--

Flawless writing with sassy wit and a rich cast of complex characters blend together brilliantly in Natural Born Charmer, a romantic sexy, literary confection...." Chicago Tribune

"Combine a bunch of misfits carrying emotional baggage with lots of humor, and you have another Phillips masterpiece. The dialogue, emotions and offbeat scenarios elevate this book to genuine reading joy. Phillips not only plucks at heartstrings, she plays a full concert." —Jill M. Smith, Romantic Times BOOKclub

"Phillips has penned another sexy, funny, but deeply touching romance. ...one of the best yet." —Kristin Ramsdell, Library Journal

"...splendidly satisfying tale of love, family, and redemption. Generously seasoned with plenty of tart humor and snappy dialogue, and graced with a delightfully amusing pair of protagonists trying desperately not to fall in love. Natural Born Charmer is simply irresistible." Booklist

I'll probably be a bit nutty-kooky around SEP should the opportunity arise.

4. Diana Gabaldon

Awe-struck. She's the true blue original in the group. Heck, no one in the industry even knew how to categorize and market her complex and compelling series (that starts with Outlander) blending history, time travel, romance and high adventure. She's amazing, and she has a cult-like following. The comet.

5. Julia Quinn

She's like a warm, witty, brilliant friend who never fails to delight you. I was so thrilled when I discovered her. I had just finished pouring through all of Jane Austen's work for the umpteenth time and I needed something . . . anything. A regency. Someone recommended Amanda Quick so I went to the bookstore and pulled out a couple of titles, read the back, wasn't sure, kept browsing, discovered Julia. Her heroines stand out. I love her heroines. The witty, warm banter between her characters is soooo good. You can feel the love growing between the hero and heroine and you totally buy into the happily ever after. When all is said and done, you just know that she's really, really smart-- and she is. Don't believe me? Read her bio. Plus, she won the Weakest Link! How fun is that?

6. Uh oh.

All day between playing with toddlers, doing potty training, walking dogs, grocery shopping, watching Dancing with the Stars and other exciting stuff, I've been jotting down names, crossing them off, jotting them back down again. I thought I'd know what to do when I got here.

I don't.

Should I list Janet Evanovich whose humor is another huge influence on my writing and who is wildly, wildly successful? She cracks me up like no other and her heroes are phenomenally hot. Hmmm. Good idea, but . . .

What about Marian Keyes, who turned me on to chick lit with Rachel's Holiday and who is another huge influence on my writing? I love, love, love her. At times, I've wondered if we're astral twins.

Then there is Jennifer Crusie who wrote Katrina's fave, Bet Me, which I also liked very much. I'm addicted to her online writing workshop and her cherry forums. She's a phenomenal teacher and a witty chicka. I know I'll be starstruck if I see her.

I can't forget Barbara Samuel. She writes great women's fiction and romance, and her workshop changed my life. She's like the soulful best friend you wished lived next door.

I'm tempted to include J.R. Ward cuz the woman writes with a dark, gritty, razor-sharp edge that gets me all pumped up despite the fact that I'm not into vamps. At all. But I read all her books and gain super-charged energy from them. How fun would it be to go out clubbing with her? Pretty fun, I bet.

I can't decide between those five so instead, let's just say I'd be geeked to meet any of them, and hopefully I will.

Oh boy! Double uh oh. It's the day after I posted everything above this and I absolutely have to add Eloisa James. I read my first book by her last night, and I devoured the thing like a box of chocolates. She's a Shakespeare professor who writes delicious regency novels and blogs with the Squawkers. Wow!

I am such a cheater on this six thing!

Cheers and happy writing,
Alyson

No comments: