Sunday, March 4, 2007

Things I wish I had said . . .

Our Sunday Six this week is things we wish we had said or written. I have tons and tons of lines I wish I had said or written so I just picked the first bunch that came to mind. I was going to stick to love as a topic and just pick six but these seven-- that cover all sorts of stuff-- immediately jumped to mind so I went with it. Enjoy!

1. Love sought is good, but given unsought is better.
Olivia, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare, Act III, Scene 1

2. Love comforteth like sunshine after rain.
Adonis, "Venus and Adonis" by William Shakespeare (line 799)

3. From a little spark may burst a mighty flame.
Paradiso by Dante Alighieri (canto I, l. 34)

4. “Freedom!”
William Wallace, Braveheart, 1995. When he screams for freedom rather than mercy-- so brave, committed, self-sacrificing, amazing.

5. You see - comedy. Love, and a bit with a dog. That's what they want. Phillip Henslowe, Shakespeare in Love, 1998.

6. Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket ( I can't remember which book!)

7. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. Opening line of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

And related to that, I like Bridget Jones's take off on one of the most famous first lines in lit: It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.

There are so many, many more but for now, that will have to suffice.

Cheers and happy writing --
Alyson

No comments: