Friday, March 16, 2007

From Carly's Wine Blog


My main character in my MIP is a love-cursed sommelier who happens to write a wine blog. Here's an excerpt from her blog--

April Wine

After a long winter, the perfect April wines are fruity, white wines that wake up your senses like a quick dip in a cool lake or a spring fling. The trick is to not be intimidated by those with funny, unfamiliar-sounding names like Prosecco, Pouilly Fumè, Viognier, Chenin Blanc, Riesling, or Gewürztraminer. There is much more to life than pretty boy chardonnays from California.

Incidentally, April Wine is not only the title of my blog today, but also the name of a Canadian hard rock band known for their power ballads. The perfect power ballad wine? Gewürztraminer. There’s that funny name again. As my colleague, Federico, said last night, making the connections, Gewürztraminer is spicy with a good, strong structure. Not too sweet. Oily. Phat. Complete with an umlaut, reminiscent of any German hair band. Queensrÿche comes to mind, a band also known for their power ballads.

Well said, Federico. Unfamiliar with the umlaut? It’s a double dot over a vowel used in German and other European languages to indicate a change in pronunciation.


Despite their German names, Alsatian Rieslings and Gewürztraminers are French and fermented much drier than their German counterparts. This means they can be consumed with a wider range of foods. For most wine drinkers, Gewürztraminer is a love-hate wine because its bold perfume, full-bodied texture and prominent spice can be too extreme for some. Try a mid-priced bottle with Thai, Cajun or Alsatian cuisine before you cross Gewürztraminers off your list.

Happy wining and dining,
Carly

P.S. Need a great gift for April Fool’s day? I have some more funny names for you-- Old Tart, Cat’s Pee on a Gooseberry Bush, Bloody Good White and Fat Bastard Chardonnay. Enjoy!

Okay, okay. I deleted her recommendations and tasting notes because I don't actually include them in the MIP but we all know any sommelier worth her salt would provide them. Plus a few segues are missing, but hey, relax, my brain is mush at the moment, I'm keeping it light and simple. Personally, I'm more of a Riesling chick except with Thai food :)

Happy wining and dining,

Alyson


1 comment:

Cinderwriter said...

Hi Alyson,
Please tell Carly that I loved her blog on wine! Also please tell her that I recommend she try Heller Estate Chenin Blanc. (Only when her Boss and Nick are not looking of course!) It is from an award winning organic winery in the Carmel Valley California. Jackie is a bit of a food Snob, and this is her top choice! I can't cook, but I know how to eat! :o) I hope we can hear more from Carly now and then!
Jacqueline