Monday, March 5, 2007

Lines I Wish I’d Created…

Ever hear or read a line of dialogue and think, “Oh! Why couldn’t I write or say something that clever or moving or brilliant?” I do that quite a bit. Of course, to cement those moments in my mind, I write them down.

My collection of quotes spans books, articles, TV shows, movies, and even live verse off the lips of the speakers themselves. I especially love wit, clever word choice, beautifully descriptive passages and meaning on multiple levels. Below is a sampling of my collection. I admit, some are silly, but that’s what I enjoy about them. None are particularly romantic, which makes me think I need to note more of those.

The Spoken Word:

“I could be on fire and she wouldn’t even try to put me out.” My brother-in-law, Greg, said this when I asked him how engrossed my sister was in the X-Files.

“I knew the writing on the wall, I just didn’t want to read it.” - Unknown

Michael – “She’s obsessed with me.”
Maria – “Well, I guess that makes two of you, then, doesn’t it?”
- Roswell

Liz – “This can never be normal, Max.”
Max – “What’s so great about normal.”
- Roswell

Martin – “I’m sorry if I f****ed up your life.”
Debbie – “It’s not over yet.”
- Gross Pointe Blank

Dawn – “When do I get to patrol?”
Buffy – “Not until you’re never.”
- Buffy

“Not only has the shit hit the fan, but it’s aimed smack at us.” Quoted from an interview with Norma Barzman

Descriptions:

“Davy’s kiss tasted like Vodka and disaster.”
- Faking It, Jennifer Crusie (You knew I was going to quote her, didn’t you?)

Another from Crusie:
“Six feet two of broad-shouldered, dark-haired disappointment stood there, looking as startled as she was, and her treacherous heart lurched sideways at the sight.”
- Hot Toy in Santa Baby

Regarding Mrs. Darling, “The way Mr. Darling won her was this: the many gentlemen who had been boys when she was a girl discovered simultaneously that they loved her, and they all ran to her house to propose to her except Mr. Darling, who took a cab and nipped in first, and so he got her.”
- Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie

A last one from Crusie’s Bet Me:
“He was in profile now, talking to David. The man should be on coins, Min thought.”

The collection I drew from wasn't as large as I remembered and I now want to bulk it up a bit more, and I want to reach higher to create clever quotable lines myself.

Katrina

No comments: