Tuesday, May 22, 2007

INTJ

There has been some discussion of personality types on AotP and related blogs lately. Whether it be a personality test from the Oprah mag or the full-out Meyers Briggs, personality tests are enlightening of both our attributes and our flaws.

I’ve known my Meyers Briggs (MB) type for many years. One year, early on in my current bill-paying job, everyone on staff had to take the MB. Then we went on a retreat. In a huge ballroom, the hundreds of employees of my work place scattered out and stood in areas marked with their personality type. The people in charge made it a game. At the end, out of hundreds of employees, I stood at the far end of the room in a small box labeled INTJ. Out of hundreds, there were 4 of us. We had room to lounge. Others were giddily crowded into boxes far too small for that many people. All those extroverts seemed to relish their tight confines. I was happy with my elbow room … until I looked around. Four of us. It hit me now. What did I have in common with these three who studied the room as carefully as I did?

Come to find out, INTJs aren’t all that common. We are about 1% of the population. Women INTJs are even more rare than men. Eegads. (“Freak!” I screamed at myself.)

My husband humorously read the description accompanying my analysis that night. Uh… he made it sound a bit unflattering at times. I rushed out to take it again. Surely, it was wrong. I wasn’t THAT person.

I’ve taken the test several times since then. I’ve tested as an INTJ about two dozen times – very strong on the I and N and T, moderate to low on the J. I’ve tested INTP twice – both times I was in a funky mood.

My life as a writer clearly outlines why I’m an INTJ. Over the past year and a half that I’ve been writing seriously, I’ve tried everyone else’s ways of doing this writing thing. I’m finally settling on mine. I should have listened to my inner writer all along.

What have I learned about how I write that relates to my personality type? More than I can include here. But, I’ll attempt to enlighten you. Of course, I’m such a weak J, that a lot of the P info fits me, too.

First, some INTJ info:

“Logical, critical, decisive innovators of ideas; serious, intent, very independent, concerned with organization; determined, often stubborn.”


Okay – um – I will finish this damn book and a dozen or more others. And frankly, I’m almost ready to say, I want to finish it without any more crits or any input. I want to follow wild ideas and see where they go.

“They thrive on the surge of inspiration that comes with a new idea or interest.”

This explains why the next idea and the next are so much more fun that the current one.

“Highly independent, they often prefer to teach themselves what they believe they need to know, but they also appreciate the contributions of a teacher they regard as competent. They dislike most kinds of group work in school, and they like to find their own way through new material. They set high standards for their work, push themselves hard, and are self-critical when their results do not meet their expectations.”


Yes. This is me. Always has been. I have a huge library of writing books and printouts, etc. I refer to them when I need to. I like to figure things out on my own. My inner critic sits in the classroom of mind in the front row.

“INTJs describe their minds as a continuous flow of ideas. They construct and reconstruct mental models of their ideas, envisioning how things could be made or done. Their kind of mind is quick in seeing associations and meanings, reading between the lines, and grasping general concepts. They put a high value on intellectual quickness.

Many meanings come to them when their conscious mind is focused on something else. Some of their best problem solving comes out of unconscious processing, where ideas have been cooking on the back burner. They are most likely to be effective when they allow time for that process to happen.”

Oh, can I ever see this. I realize that writers are supposed to write everyday, but really, that is just one person’s (or maybe many persons’) way of doing it. When I write every day, I get bogged down, backed up, overwhelmed. I need days off, doing other things, then I can sit down with a vengeance and pound out 10k in a month or less. It’s that conscious mind/unconscious mind thing. I really need the processing time.

“They rely on insight more than careful observation, and on conceptual and language skills more than on their memory of facts.”


Yes. I rely a lot on insight and intuition. I’m not a fact memorizer.

“They believe competence comes through inspiration, insight, and analytical thinking. Sometimes the surge of inspiration that energizes their learning is brought up short by the reality of having to master essentials that aren’t inspiring. Many times they have to push themselves to get interested in learning some ‘essentials’ because their goal of mastery takes priority in that situation.”


Oh, and if this doesn’t explain the pains of finishing my first novel. I was inspired and then I had to figure out all the whys and wherefores. I had to push myself. I still do. It’s the imagination that’s fun, not how to analyze a scene or turning points, etc. Mostly, I hope the instinct and intuition come into play on that stuff.

“They like to see the big picture even if missing some steps or details may hinder them later.”


I tend to see big scenes and overall story lines in my head. I skip the transitions. I know I’ll have to go back, but I like the idea that I can color the trees green later. I know they are there. I see them. I’m not sure what kind they are or if the leaves are green or yellow, but I know where the cottage in the woods is and I know the path that meanders to it. I know the killer is lurking in the woods, and he's set a trap for the hero. I know the storm is coming. I know nightfall spells danger. Leaves, shmeaves. I'll get to that later.

Are you yawning yet? Sorry.

Yes, this has a point.

I’m figuring out my process. It isn’t like everyone else’s. I’m a minority in this world. I shouldn’t feel bad or like I’m doing it wrong when I do it differently. My way is okay, too.

My way: Don’t write everyday, but make writing a habit. Realize that I need some days off for idea fermentation, then the writing will blaze again. I can play with innovative ideas that others don’t get because with enough play, I can make them work. It makes my voice unique. I may not be able to explain to others where I’m going, but the concepts are all in my head even if I can’t spill the facts right now. I will eventually needs crits, but my own inner critic is such a part of me that she’s absorbing everything and applying it to my writing. She reads the books – both good and bad – with me and quickly sees the lessons I need and the associations to my own writing. I may miss a few little things (too many of which I’m aware can become big things), but the overall picture is big and clear and it’s mine.

I will own it and protect it and defend it. I will gather new ideas to it – ideas that work – and replace ideas that no longer serve an effective purpose. But I will not do it the way someone else does just because they are brilliant or it works for them. I’m learning what works for me and that’s what counts.

Macy

PS. Quoted passages from Looking at Type and Learning Styles by Gordon Lawrence, Ph.D

11 comments:

Unknown said...

My kind of blog! You know I LOVE this kind of stuff-- personality types, claiming your own damn vision. You almost had me thinking I'm an INTJ-- okay, not the J part. I'm definitely nowhere near a J, but my E/I and F/T are borderline, and I could totally relate to every single thing you said!

Gosh darn, do I love this stuff.

Go, go, go grrrrrl. But keep in touch always cuz I love you to pieces. Of course, if you ever want a crit or feedback or input, I'll provide it, but I'm in nearly the exact same place, oddly enough-- not to sound like a copy cat:)

RVCBard said...

Hi.

Fellow female INTJ here (and strongly so). This post is eerie. You and I should really talk. I think my email's on my blogger profile.

Anonymous said...

Thank you fellow INTP for sharing all this. :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I think warm-hearted post. Specially the appellation attracted me to read the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I agree but I contemplate the list inform should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

OLIVIA said...

Hi! I'm also an INTJ and a female AND and aspiring writer. I noticed that you have not updated this or your other blog in some time, but I thought I should say something when I found this post. Because... Dude, I could have written this. I have the same issues. If you still check comments here, we should chat.

Paul Hosse said...

LOL. Well, I am a "classic" INTJ, and a writer as well. Welcome to our world. It's never dull!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely loved this post.
Everything you said makes sense, especially the "writing" everyday... Umm... no, if I do it that way I don't scratch the surface. The best way is to take like an ENTIRE Saturday or Sunday to lock yourself in a room... When writing I can seriously write for 12 hours straight, I can read like this also. I don't like reading or doing ANYTHING everyday. I might read 3-4 books on a rainy day though... I think this is the Ni preference going completely off the charts.