Sunday, May 6, 2007

Six Whines

This week’s blog is my top Six Whines.

Yep. We are going to roll around in self-pity and cry all day. (Hopefully, we’ll get this out of our systems.)

Macy’s whines:
1. There is so NOT enough time. I have a full time bill-paying job that if I quit would send us into foreclosure, so that’s not happening anytime soon. And, really, I love my job. I just like writing more. But my job is one of those no overtime pay, but lots of overtime hours sort of jobs. Frankly, it isn’t being busy that keeps me from writing. My best work is frequently accomplished under the gun of severe time constraints. My big deal is being tired. I’m a go to bed at midnight and get up at 5 kind of girl, but I’m learning that the muses are just a tad more creative when I give them a bit more rest. (Girls, I’m working on it.)

2. I wish I’d known about character arcs, hero’s journeys, and GMC’s before I started. Then, I might not be going back to them now and trying to fix my uneducated ramblings. That learning curve thing is huge. Whine #2 = I’m now paying for my early lack of knowledge.

3. Everyone is supportive of my writing – as long as there isn’t anything more important going on. And what could be more important than my writing? According to my dh, dd, and ds, everything.

4. The MIDDLE. The f&%#*ng middle!!

5. FINISHING. F&%#*ng finishing!!!!!!

6. I’ve only just begun to realize there are about a billion different ways to do this writing thing. What works for one person doesn’t work for someone else. I’ve tried just about everything that works for someone else. I’m just now getting around to trying what works for me. There has to be an easier way to learn this stuff, right?

Okay – I realize that wasn’t super whiney. However, I just got through a hellacious week. I spent more than half the day in my PJ’s. I rested and cleaned up and relaxed and watched a whole movie on TV. I’m actually not feeling too whiney right now. (Maybe at 5 am when I get up to write, I’ll add to this. I’m pretty whiney at 5 am.)

Macy

No comments: