Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Len is CRAZY!



If you read my Alys on Love blog, you know I'm a big fan of the show Dancing With the Stars. As a kid I wanted to be a dancer and a writer-- my two big dreams. I've watched each season faithfully. I'm typically torn by the semifinals, but no great injustice has been done, in my opinion. Kelly Monaco had heart and was the most improved dancer that season. I didn't like when they scheduled a second dance-off, but whatever. Drew outdanced Stacey in the second season's finale. Although I not-so-secretly wanted Joey and Edyta to win the third season, he took third place and the three dancers that danced in the finale were the three that deserved it. Plus, no one can deny Emmett's charm. Mario was the better dancer but he ended up with Karina, a much better prize than the trophy, in my humble opinion. I recently read they've moved in together. This season, the three celebrities going into the finale are the best of the group. They have been my favorites since week one. HOWEVER, tonight I watched the recap of last night's show and I was infuriated with Len's assessment of Apolo's cha cha with Julianne. (Click here and scroll down to the you tube video of the cha cha if you'd like to see it.) I LOVED it! If Laila and Ian deserved 30's, Apolo sure as heck did. The only one that outdanced him was Joey, and I can't even say that with a clear conscious. WTF! Too raunchy, my left foot! That's right-- Len said it was too raunchy. There was too much gyrating for him. Puh-lease.

No worries, folks. There is a writing analogy here, believe it or not. Remember all my whining about crits and crit groups a few weeks ago? Well, I ended up asking two people from another writing group to swap drafts with me--to be crit partners. Unfortunately both of those people have had quite a bit of drama going on their lives lately-- bad, sad, life-threatening difficult drama. I truly feel for them both. I've said prayers and sent positive, hopeful vibes. However, what happened next has thrown me for a loop. It will seem trivial, of course, but remember I'm self-absorbed. Here's what happened next--

They passed my draft on to the rest of their group -- and I received crits back. Ugh! Three, possibly four, of these people remind me of Len. They're older than sin and they interpret everything as "raunch."

Okay, maybe not everything. Let's be clear here--they interpret my work as raunchy, bawdy, all heavy breathing and no substance. Clearly, they're not my target audience but WTF. Who asked you? Certainly, not moi! As one of the audience members said of Len, perhaps, they need more bran.

Maybe a lot more bran. Maybe, even, some hard core ex-lax.

Did mention I'm a bit feisty?

Exhale. I feel better now. We can return to our regularly scheduled program with Macy on Thursday -- and, perhaps, our homeschooling diva, Jackie, tomorrow.

No worries. This happened a week or so ago and I've deposited the crits in the garbage can. Protect the work. Let the public vote when the time comes.

Don't tick me off anymore, Len.

Cheers, happy writing and go, go, go Apolo and Julianne,
Alyson

2 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

I think that, in the end, all of our work will be a little too raunchy for someone. But, I'm just curious... were these ladies romance writers, and if so, have they been reading romances lately?

Macy

Unknown said...

Oh, good point, Macy. I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I didn't want to continue with the entire group is that most of them write mystery/suspense, supposedly with romantic elements but the romantic elements aren't that enticing and have no sexual tension. Plus, I have no interest in their stories so I don't want to have to do payback crits. Oh, and one of them is a rather uptight guy. Sorta reminds me of my dad who hates every nude scene in a movie ever, and who railed on me for liking Madonna. Ha! My dad and his rellies are the reason I need a pen name.

Anyway, you're right. I better get used to it. That, however, doesn't mean I have to listen to it. Right?

Alyson