Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Writers I Envy

We’ve decided to blog this week about what current writer we envy and why.

Um… any published writer.

Even though that was my first reaction, I realized almost immediately I don’t envy just any or every published writer. I don’t even envy a great many successful published writers.

Who do I envy?
1) Libba Bray. I’m not sure I even looked forward to the final installment of the Harry Potter series with the zeal with which I await Libba’s The Sweet Far Thing. What is it I envy of Libba so much? I envy the extraordinary, imaginative concepts in her books. I envy her subtle use of theme, how suddenly the theme of her books are staring you in the face. I envy her aching portrayal of an innocent teen with all the angst that is universal, all the desire that bubbles below the surface, all the terror that you will and won’t experience all life has to offer. I’d love to write great YA fantasy. I’d love to write like Libba Bray.

2) J.R. Ward. Envelope-pushing, world-building genius J.R. Ward. Her Black Dagger Brotherhood series is a masterpiece. Her characters, especially the big, bad vampires of the brotherhood are well developed. She breaks rules that make you gasp and sets up story line and arcs that tie book after book together. She knows her characters as if they were real people. She knows her world like I know my hometown. Spectacular. I’d love to write great urban fantasy like J.R. Ward.

3) J.K. Rowling. This one woman made reading cool. She made science fiction and fantasy cool. She spurred a new trend in YA books. Her works have people getting in line to buy books six hours before they go on sale. That’s the stuff of rock bands and arena concerts. And did I say she’s a cagillionaire? I’d love to write like J.K. Rowling. Actually, I’d just love her bank account.

Perhaps this is a bit of an irreverent view, but it was very eye-opening to write it. As I struggle with what I should write after voice class, I find little clues everywhere. All three of the writers I selected write fantasy of some sort. All create vivid worlds that I’d step into if I could. All at least dabble in romance with love interests and hormones and crushes and first kisses. Two of the three are YA with wide adult appeal. All have a distinctly dark aspect. All deal with themes which land squarely in gray, rather than black and white.

I didn’t have any idea this little exercise would continue to give me voice clues.

Sigh.

I guess what I SHOULD write for NaNoWriMo is becoming clearer and clearer.

What current writer(s) to you envy and why?

Macy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And there it is! I think the fantasy angle is very clear, M. Very, very clear. I'll write about my author envy on Friday.