Friday, October 19, 2007

Writer Envy

Sheer Playfulness and Deadly Seriousness are my closest friends.
Philip Roth

# # #

I wish I was her, or him-- what current writer do you envy and why?

I saw this topic over at The Longstockings a week or so ago and I thought it sounded like so much fun. I wasn't sure which writers I'd choose as "the current writers I most envy" because I love so many authors for so many different reasons.-- Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jennifer Crusie, Janet Evanovich, Diana Gabaldon, Loretta Chase, Barbara Kingsolver, Toni Morrison, Isabel Allende, Marian Keyes, Rebecca Wells, Elizabeth Gilbert, Megan McCafferty, Lois Lowry, JK Rowling, Judy Blume, Laurie Halse Anderson, Phillip Pullman, and so on and so forth. . . so many amazing writers to choose from. And then, there's the people like Nora Roberts, who I may not consider my personal faves, but who are so dang successful, such icons, it makes my head turn.

I didn't over think the question because it's been a busy week and I've been preoccupied with other things. Plus, I like to be spontaneous, to keep things "fresh. " So, when I sat down this morning, I was surprised-- the first writer that popped into my head was Philip Roth.

Philip Roth?

I mean no disrespect. Quite the opposite. He's a brilliant, celebrated, prolific writer, so, in that respect, it's not "odd." I've read three or four of his books and I've loved, loved, loved each one. However, it wasn't what I expected. I write nothing like him! He's brilliant and literary and , and, and . . .

I'm not.

But maybe, deep down, I want to be. Or maybe, there's something else to take away from this.

Philip Roth first achieved fame with GOODBYE, COLUMBUS (1959), a novella and five-story collection describing the life of a of Jewish middle-class family. Ten years later PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT was published. The book became a great, great international success. I remember being blown away by it. I'd never read anything like it. It's a "masturbation story" in which Roth yokes wild comedy, guilt and rage together as the narrator searches for freedom by using sex as his way of escape. Wow.

Roth says, "In 1969, I wrote Portnoy. Not only did I write it - that was easy - I also became the author of Portnoy's Complaint and what I faced publicly was the trivialisation of everything."

According to Aaron Ascher, Roth's dear friend and editor, "the attacks were horrible and disheartening, especially from the Jews. He had to cope with the nightmare of a smash hit. It made him angry and defensive, so he closed up. But maybe it did him good. The setback of great success changed and improved him as a writer. Without it, he'd have been different."

He continued publishing outrageous novels in the vein of his commercial breakthrough, eventually introducing Nathan Zuckerman, his literary altar ego, in My Life as a Man. The well received Zuckerman Trilogy (The Ghost Writer, Zuckerman Unbound, and The Counterlife) parallels Roth's career, unfolding with characteristic poignancy and unforgiving humor.

As this article in the Guardian points out, for the last decade, at an age when most writers are beginning to lose interest, Roth has produced a series of books more powerful and accomplished than any he has written before. And he shows no signs of slowing down. Maybe that's what I find the MOST amazing. It gives me hope that it's not too late, that the ship hasn't necessarily passed me by.

"Even now, he doesn't relent," says Aaron Ascher. "This is a 70-something-year-old writer who is still going uphill and keeps getting better. He has back problems which give him great pain, yet he's always working. He never stops, even in his worst periods."

I love this about Roth--

"He works standing up, paces around while he's thinking and has said he walks half a mile for every page he writes. Even now, when his joints are beginning to creak and fail, energy still comes off him like a heat haze, but it is all driven by the intellect. It comes out as argument, mimicry, wild comic riffs on whatever happens to turn up in the conversation. His concentration is fierce, and the sharp black eyes under their thick brows miss nothing. The pleasure of his company is immense, but you need to be at your best not to disappoint him."

He's one of the mad ones, no? In a way? Despite his monklike privacy? Other books by him that I love are The Zuckerman Trilogy, American Pastoral and Human Stain.

Since Macy picked three, I was going to be a copy cat and pick three as well, but I can't choose. However, I can say this-- what I noticed amongst the authors jockeying for position is that they are all successful, they all win awards, they all entertain me immensely and write page-turning series with characters I just can't get enough of. . .

Hmmm. Is there a series in my future?

Cheers and happy writing,
Alyson



No comments: