Monday, October 29, 2007

Katrina's Top TBR Picks

Going through my TBR pile to choose my top 5 for today is no small feat. I’ve already split my TBR library into two shelves, one of which holds 35 yet-to-be-read books, which I want to read before I move over to the overflow shelf which currently hosts another 20.

I must clarify that the top of the top at any given moment is influenced by mood, the moon and often the last book I read. Sometimes I want more of the same, and sometimes I need something entirely different.

I don’t know which particular influence was strongest last night when I pulled these five from the shelf, but I did notice it’s quite a well-rounded list.

In no particular order (I just didn’t want to go there), here’s what I grabbed…or at least what grabbed me:

The Naked Marquis by Sally MacKenzie. While hunting for a book for our AOTP book club I ran across the Naked royal guy series at Barnes & Noble. The covers are so colorful and the idea of a Naked Duke, Earl or just about anything, peaked my interest. I flipped through it, liked the writing style, loved the comments from other writers and saw that it was $4.99. Under $5?! Done! It’s a light-hearted historical and looks to be a fun read. In fact I skimmed through it last night, just to be sure it merited the “in the next five” pile and the next thing I new I was crawling into bed two hours later. Not good for my Monday at work, but a good sign for the book.

It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I’ve read several of SEP’s book and have loved them all, so I’m always happy to throw one of hers in the mix. This particular copy is signed by SEP herself, and while in line to obtain that very signature, wanting to snag another favorite, I asked my fellow liner-standers which ones they recommended. They all loved this one. SEP did too. It’s contemporary.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I love historical novels set it Scotland. I love Scotland. I took a tour there once and fantasized about living back in the day, in what I perceive were more romantic, less complicated times. Had I really lived then, I’d probably have been a maid or cook or something though, so it would likely not have been as romantic. Anyway, I love time travel too, so this has the best of both. I’ve also heard amazing things about this novel, and Gabaldon won a RITA for it in 1991. I just need to set aside a chunk of time to read it, as it’s 600 pages in what looks to be a tiny font.

Out of Control by Suzanne Brockmann. I read two different articles (one on POV and the other on character introduction) that quoted excerpts from this novel. Although I may not have picked up what I was supposed to from the instruction, I did pick up the book. One of those excerpts turns out to be from the prologue. Seriously. The prologue! She had me by the end of the first page of the prologue. That’s pretty damned good I’d say. So I have to read this book. Maybe next, since I just reread page one the prologue and am rehooked all over again. It has adventure, loyalty, a hot tough guy with a witty sense of humor. Wit always gets me.

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig. The lively Miss Willig spoke at our local (NYC) RWA chapter brunch last Spring and I bought her book on the spot. I thought, if her crisp wit and charming personality come across on the page, it will be a great read. The gist of the story is a grad school student plagued with bad luck and a dismal love life goes to London to do research on the Scarlet Pimpernel and the Purple Gentian and somehow discovers the secret history of the Pink Carnation. From what I understand the story skips between the grad student’s present day life and the exploits of the Pink Carnation in the past. Love and intrigue abound. Honestly, Lauren is hilarious in person and I’m sure her book won’t disappoint.

That’s it for now. I think we’ll have to do a second blog about these TBR choices after we’ve read them. Then I’ll really tell you how great they are. ;)

So, what’s in your to-be-read pile?


Katrina

No comments: