Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The book/movie connection

In trying to come up with a blog topic this week that would be fun and not interfere with NanoWriMo’s impending start, I thought of movies I love and how many of them are based on books I love.

And, of course, that very thought immediately led to this week’s questions: What book or books would you most like to see turned into a movie and why and who would you want to play the main characters.

This is tough. A few books that I’ve always loved have movie adaptations soon to be released or in the works. Examples include The Golden Compass and A Great and Terrible Beauty.

So what other book would I choose?

I love romantic comedies and love stories. I recently read Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas. It’s a delightful story and full of all the stuff that makes romances fun.

(Plug for her contemporary romances: I just went to her website and saw that Blue-Eyed Devil, her new contemporary, comes out in March. I may have to pre-order. Characters from Sugar Daddy resurface -- one that I particularly liked – but I won’t tell you who in case you haven’t read Sugar Daddy. I wouldn’t want to spoil it for you. SPOILER alert if you read the excerpt from Blue-Eyed Devil on her website without reading Sugar Daddy first.)

Anyway, I won’t create a synopsis of Sugar Daddy from scratch. Here’s one from Booklist that was posted at Amazon: “Money is tight while Liberty Jones is growing up in Welcome, Texas, but somehow she and her mother Diana manage. Having good friends like Miss Marva, Lucy Reyes, and especially Hardy Cates, on whom Liberty has a crush, helps. Then tragedy strikes and Liberty must take care of her younger sister and find a way to support them. Hard work and determination get Liberty through cosmetology school, then, while working in a Houston salon, she meets wealthy older businessman Churchill Travis, who offers her a job as his personal assistant. At first Liberty is reluctant to accept, especially since Churchill's son, Gage, seems to think she's a gold digger. Then, just as Liberty is settling into her new life and her initially frosty relationship with Gage is heating up and turning romantic, Hardy Cates, her first unrequited love, reappears.”

So, why this book? I won’t go into every reason, just a few important ones. First, the book is grand enough to support a 2 to 3 hour movie. A lot happens. Second, the characters are rich and intriguing. Third, I grew up in Texas. To some Lisa’s portrayal may seem over the top, but if you’ve ever lived there, you know it’s right on.

Cast of important characters:
Liberty Jones -- adult (1/2 hispanic, ½ white): Jessica Alba
Carrington – anyone know any cute blonde child actors?
Hardy Cates – Matthew McConaughey
Gage Travis – Christian Bale
Churchill Travis -- Probably not the best choice, but for now – Sam Elliot


Macy

No comments: