Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Ultimate Marathon - The 100K

We at AOTP have been agonizing over our novels lately. Whatever stage we’re at, rewriting or finishing the first draft, it’s a tough process. And in thinking about this I realized that I've never read a blog or article that says rewriting is a breeze...and from what I’ve interpreted, most say that the initial draft is something akin to a marathon...a long long process with moments where we’ll want to quit.

I can only imagine, not being a runner like Jacqueline, but since I do have an overactive imagination and read a lot I'm, um, running with the marathon analogy.

So let’s say I’d done the necessary training (taken classes, read blogs, worked out character arcs and conflict) and I’m in. I’m committed and that starting line is but a foggy memory. I know that no matter how much prep went in there'd be a moment (or maybe a multitude of them) where I'd question what in the hell I was doing and why I wanted to do it in the first place. My body would hurt and be crying out for some less strenuous activity (like maybe sleep). The scenery would seem too boring for words and I'd contemplate a more appealing setting (you know, that Maui run with the beach view, not the city trek that has me breathing in cab exhaust).

And then I'd hit that wall I've been warned about where all systems say STOP and I'd really have to consider. Should I press forward and finish what I started or opt for the shower and the mixed berry smoothy that have been calling to me? If I press on, there's sure to be more doubt and pain and exhaust, BUT the cheers as I approach the finish line would buoy me up.

It matters little that my time would be slow or that my final jog would be barely faster than a walk, when I finish, triumph would fill me. Triumph all the sweeter because of the struggle it took me to get there.

I know, I know, I got carried away there and I realize this is but one simple analogy for writing. I could also draw some comparisons to physical therapy, falling in love and maybe even rock climbing. Another time maybe.

I was telling the girls at AOTP that sometimes I need a cheerleader telling me to hang in there when I'm down, but sometimes I need the tough love of a coach getting in my face asking me what the hell I'm doing lagging behind. Someone who will push me to do what I know I can even though I don't see it at the moment. Well, I need a kick in the butt right now.

I was writing like mad and then went out with friends one night and skipped the writing. Then instead of writing more new stuff the next night, I read over the fresh pages and somehow haven't jumped back in again.

I left my hero and heroine up on a hilltop right in the middle of a steamy make-out scene. Something has to keep them from carrying it too far, but I don't know what that something is and I don’t want it to feel contrived. You know, no bolt of lightening or a bear in the woods. I think it has to be the hero this time. So what would trigger that for him? These are the things I'm mulling over.

I also need to write the scene just before this one, which escalates the sexual tension to the point where they just have to have each other. Ugh. That mixed berry smoothy is sounding really good right now...then again, finish line is ahead. I think I see it in the distance. Perhaps the smoothy can wait a bit longer.

Katrina

2 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

Your right. And so is Alyson. I'm not sure about my own writing analogy yet. Today, it's closer to a marathon. Tomorrow, who knows?

Good blog.

Cinderwriter said...

100K - known in the running world as an "Ultra". Painful, enjoyable, but so worth the effort in the end! Keep on going!