Friday, June 15, 2007

Conveying one's essential self

I am on a yahoo email loop for writers who have taken Barbara Samuel's online classes. Currently, some of the members are reading The Joy Diet by Martha Beck. I still haven't bought the book ( because my local Border's doesn't carry it) but I do read Martha's columns in O Magazine, and I just love her. One of my favorite Martha Beck quotes is--
"Do whatever it takes to convey your essential self."
That quote explains why I'm starting over on my first MIP.
Yep. Starting. Over.

Okay, fine-- as Samantha, so wisely pointed out, I'm not really, truly starting over. I've learned a lot by finishing my "first" draft and I'm taking all of that with me. However, I am changing some major, major things because, in the end, the story didn't convey my essential self or the essential selves of my characters. The good news is that I've received tremendous support, and by finally, finally recognizing and giving in to the inevitable I've reached a sense of calm, an inner peace that previously eluded me. I didn't see that coming-- but it's nice and I'm grabbing the bull by the horns, hopping on his back and riding him . . .

Okay, stop, Alyson, stop.

Back to the Joy Diet--

The book offers a menu of ten practices or behaviors for a happier life. These are--

  1. Nothing: Do nothing for fifteen minutes a day. Stop mindlessly chasing goals and figure out which goals are worth going after.
  2. Truth: Create a moment of truth to help you unmask what you're hiding—from others and from yourself.
  3. Desire: Identify, articulate, and explore at least one of your heart's desires—and learn how to let yourself want what you want.
  4. Creativity: Learn six new ways to develop at least one new idea to help you obtain your heart's desire.
  5. Risk: Take one baby step toward reaching your goal. The only rule is that it has to scare the pants off you.
  6. Treats: Give yourself a treat for every risk you take, and two treats just because you're you. No exceptions. No excuses.
  7. Play: Take a moment to remember your real life's work and differentiate it from the games you play to achieve it. Then play wholeheartedly.
  8. Laughter: Laugh at least thirty times a day. Props encouraged.
  9. Connection: Use your Joy Diet skills to interact with someone who matters to you.
  10. Feasting: Enjoy at least three square feasts a day, with or without food.
The chapter, or menu item, the group is discussing this week revolves around play, and I believe, from the summaries I read, both truth and play are related to conveying your essential self. After one member of the group explained how you find your real life's work, she posted a link to the video below.

Sometimes I'm a sap. A total sap. The video struck a chord deep inside me and huge tears rolled down my cheeks as I shivered with chills. Bravo, to you Paul Potts for inspiring me-- because when one is finally able to convey their essential self, it's pretty damn amazing. Thank you, and good luck!


A star is born on the British television show, Britain's Got Talent.

As an aside, apparently some people have a problem with the fact that he's had training. Well, we all takes classes and pursue our interests. For me, it doesn't change my soul's response to his essential life's work.

Cheers and happy writing,
Alyson

1 comment:

Macy O'Neal said...

I haven't ordered the book either. I've actually not spent any money on books in about a month. Yikes. I need to get it. I looks great. Thanks for posting this.

Other things I've been slacking on besides buying books: word count, morning pages, motivation.

Triple Yikes. Today is the last day of my mental vacation. Back to it tomorrow.

Macy