Monday, June 25, 2007

In the Name of Research

Keeping my eyes open has brought me plentiful research material lately. It seems everywhere I go I find useful information for my WIP.

I’ve been working on one of the love scenes (and the scenes just preceding it) between my hero and heroine, and my mind has been working overtime trying to come up with fun, creative and sexy ways to describe both their physical attributes and those other things one describes in a love scene. And while my imagination is pretty good, a little extra research is always helpful.

Now before you leap too far with this, I’m talking just everyday stuff here. Keep it clean.

For example, just last week I was waiting in line at B&N to add another Brockmann to my collection of to-be-read books when Matthew McConaughey grinned at me and made my knees wobble. The dimples were taunting me from the cover of People’s Hottest Bachelors issue, so I snatched the thing up. The pic showed him rising up out of the surf with water glistening off his sun-kissed muscles – I swear he flexed them at me – and if any man has a twinkle in his eye, that man does. He always looks like he’s up to mischief.

See how it helped my writing process there?! And the best part is that the magazine is filled with hot guys just like him. Well, maybe not just like him, but hot nevertheless. Romance novel leading man type guys. I bought it for research. When I need a little inspiration, I can flip it open and find someone to ogle, I mean study, in the name of the creative process.

And last night I walked down to the pier at West 70th to enjoy the weather. A low humidity day with temps in the 80s is a rare thing here in Manhattan. Anyway, I took the notebook with me so I could do a little more writing on that love scene. I must admit, I’m usually a bit annoyed (read jealous) by the couples making out on park benches or on the grass or in the middle of the sidewalk, but yesterday as I passed a couple deep in the throws of passion, I found myself riveted, thinking of ways I’d describe my h & h doing the same.

I tried not to look obvious, as I slowed my pace and studied the placement of their hands and the tilt of their heads and, well, maybe more than I should have. I just wish they’d started spouting off non-sappy dialogue for me to borrow too. I mean I’d change the names to protect the innocent…or maybe not so innocent in their case.

I’m just grateful for the inspiration and will take it anywhere I can get it. In fact I think I’ll walk that way again tonight to see if they’re back…or maybe still at it. ;)

Katrina

2 comments:

Cinderwriter said...

Sure it was research!! Just teasing. I love this blog! Wish I could have been there too. I will have to snatch up a copy of the magazine! :o)
Jackie

Macy O'Neal said...

I couldn't find that issue of People. I have a friend who gets it in the male (eek .... mail). I'll have to borrow hers for all those hot males!

Macy