Sunday, February 4, 2007

Roxy's Sunday Six

This post is from another prolific and brilliant writer in our group. Roxy isn't blogging with us yet, but we have high hopes that she'll join soon. In the meantime, here is her take on the heroine issue for this week's Sunday Six.

I could only come up with one heroine.

Gina - From Suzanne Brockman's Troubleshooter series.

Why? Because she is incredibly brave, and she can handle Max Bhagat.

In the first book that Gina appears in "Over the Edge", (as a "secondary" POV character), she put herself in harm's way to save a bunch of strangers. Not just "harm's way", but the risk of torture, rape, death.

In later books ("Gone Too Far", "Hot Target", "Breaking Point"), we see her relationship with Max develop. Max is the head terrorist negotiator of the FBI and admired by all. He is very much in charge and everyone who works for him will do whatever he tells them to do without question, because they trust his judgement implicitly. Gina can stand up to Max and then some. And she's twenty years younger than him.

It bothers me that I could only come up with one heroine. I'm not sure what that means: I don't like romances? I have a bad memory? I'm too picky?

I think it's the last item - too picky. I want the woman to be strong, powerful, courageous. Few measure up, even Suzanne's other heroines who are all strong and brave. It makes me think about the heroine of the book I'm working on - Carolyn who is crossing the Oregon Trail. Is she that strong or brave? I'm not sure. Should she be? Maybe so. Would she still be the same person? I don't know.

Or maybe I just have a bad memory!

Thanks for letting me join in on the survey.

Roxy.

No comments: