Monday, February 5, 2007

Random Contemplations

I’ve been contemplating what to write for this blog for a few days. I had several ideas that would work.

I’d considered writing about the book I’m currently reading. I decided to take a break from romantic suspense, paranormal romances, and craft books in order to read something completely new and different. I selected Libba Bray’s young adult novel A Great and Terrible Beauty. Wow. Have you read it? It isn’t a complete break from suspense. Something is happening to Gemma Doyle, something that is as yet quite a mystery. Set in late 1800’s England, the book surrounds 16 year-old Gemma’s attempts to deal with her mother’s mysterious death, fit into a clique of girls that prove mean teenage bitches have been around for at least 100 years, and discover the source of her visions and understand what they mean. It’s Libba Bray’s first novel. Astounding. Read it. (Oh, and great cover. But covers are another blog entirely -- maybe even a Sunday Six.)

I also considered writing about the way my plot is taking shape from getting to know my characters better. Marcus Sakey was right. He said, “Spend less time worrying about the plot and more about the characters. Get to know them. Figure out their conflict with one another. The plot will evolve from that.” Just tonight, in talking to a friend about my heroine, I discovered something that I didn’t know. I discovered something that makes her very wary of my hero. More importantly, I discovered a deep, dark secret in her past – one she doesn’t fully comprehend, but will. It’s a secret that will invigorate a once dead portion of the plot and drive it wildly forward. Ah, yes, don’t you wish I chosen this topic?

I contemplated mentioning the erotic romance I’d recently read. Actually, it was a couple of novellas – historical ones (breaking away from romantic suspense again). Okay. Um. If you write that sort of thing… um… how do you know … um… how … um …that sort of thing … you know. Right. Aren’t you glad I didn’t choose this one?

In the end, however, I can’t focus on much more than a blurt at a time tonight. You see, I just won my first contest – the Heart of the West contest. Check it out. I entered under another name, but I am one of the first place finishers. (Yes, I’m sure you can guess which one. So much for secret identities.) The darling husband is still working tonight, however, he’s bringing home some Oreo Cake for me so we can celebrate. Sugar and chocolate are just what I need to calm me down. (LOL.) Perhaps, I’ll chase that with some wine. It’s all good, though. I’ve been flitting around unable to focus. Not good. I need to be writing now more than ever. (See, even this is a rambling mess.)

But in an effort to keep it real, it is just the opinion of, what, four judges. Big deal. I’ve had four people recommend the same book that I absolutely hated. I’ve also recommended books I consider great to four other people, only to have them tell me they couldn’t even finish. I guess good writing is good writing, and a compelling story is a compelling story, but everyone has a different opinion so I’m trying not to get too hyped up over it all.

But yes, I have been doing happy dances! I can’t help it. It’s cool. I haven’t gotten my feedback yet. I’m anxious to see it. And nervous. (It’s just opinions. Remember that, Macy.) I’m in the middle of exploring revisions. Now I feel like I’m in limbo. The final judge was a Harlequin Intrigue editor. Do I modify the story to fit that category line? Do I push toward single title? I don’t want to say that the comments the editor makes will make a difference, but they might. I don’t know yet. Argh.

I’ll keep you updated on this – either here or over at Random Ravings. I probably should’ve posted this there since it’s pretty random, but I absolutely didn’t have two blogs in me tonight.

Okay, gotta go now and check the Heart of the West site again and make sure it wasn’t a cruel joke.

Later,
Macy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Woo hoo!! Way to go, Macy. You totally deserve this, and I'm so glad you're allowing yourself to do happy dances :)

Samantha said...

I'm certain it's not a cruel joke. Rather, it's an astute judgment. You earned it! Happy dance away!