Sunday, February 25, 2007

Macy's Sunday Six (well, five again)

A villain. Someone who does evil deliberately.

We love to hate them.

In an effort to keep this to the point so I can get to my MIP, I’m not going to expound on the necessity of great villains. I’m just going to jump right in.

Villains I love to hate (in no particular order):

Voldemort from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Voldemort divided his soul and hid it in order to prolong his life and give him more power. He effectively sold his soul. It was a prophecy that sent Voldemort to Harry’s parents’ home when he was just an infant. He went there to destroy Harry who it had been prophesized would someday destroy Voldemort. It was this act that provided Harry with some of his powers. Now, millions of eager readers anticipate that final installment where we all hope good will indeed triumph over evil. That’s the best part of a villain – seeing him get his due.

The White Witch from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. I think what I love to hate so much about the white witch is her complete contrast to Aslan. She’s dishonest and deceptive to Aslan’s honesty and genuineness. Aslan is self-sacrificing, and the white witch is self-absorbed. I hated her even more after I saw the movie.

Adam Black from several of Karen Marie Moning’s Highlander Books. Adam is a member of the fae, the Tuatha Dé Danaan. He reeks havoc on so many characters in Moning’s books, but the part I like best is his redemption. Yes, he redeems himself. I didn’t think it was possible that I could like him, but in the end, he’s my favorite of her villains and heroes.

Sauron from the Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien. He seeks the one ring that will give him power to rule all the people of middle earth. I hated Sauron. However, he brings out the best in the heroes of the story. That’s one of those things about a good villain; he makes our heroes look so, so good.

The lessers in J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series. The lessers have been charged with annihilating the vampire race. They were evil before selling their souls and become even more evil afterwards. I don’t even like reading the excerpts from their point of view. They make me feel dirty. Truly nasty villains.

For the second week in a row, I’m minus one. Although there are other villains I hate, none compare to these five. Therefore, I’ll just end it here.

Macy

No comments: