Sunday, February 11, 2007

Katrina’s Sunday Six – Heroes

In thinking about this week’s Six, I’ve discovered that I like my heroes flawed. Either by self-doubt, a past they’re trying to overcome, pride or some other weakness. It’s so fulfilling to see them fight through these issues to win the girl, conquer the dragon, or obtain whatever it is they’re aiming for. And fight they do, because my favorite heroes are also driven and aren’t afraid of a little (or big) challenge. In no particular order, because they really can’t be compared are my favorites:

Aragorn, Lord of the Rings trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkein – He’s haunted, rough around the edges, noble, loyal, honorable, courageous, and faithful to his love for mankind and his sweetheart, despite the seemingly insurmountable odds against him. Viggo Mortensen’s portrayal of him in the movie did me in. A perfect hero.

Cal, Bet Me, by Jennifer Crusie – He’s way too confident, a heart-breaker by reputation, but meets his match in a feisty statistician who thinks she sees through his games. I know I’m not selling him here, but he really is such a great hero. He’s smitten by Min and I love how their relationship grows and how he overcomes his issues.

Adam Black, The Immortal Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning – He’s lived for thousands of years and has done some horrible things in his past, but as the story goes on, we learn of the motivation behind some of those acts and that he may have a heart after all. When he falls in love he shows his vulnerability, his true colors and what really lies underneath his intimidating exterior. He’s willing to give everything up for her. Beautiful.

Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling – Yep, I love Harry too. He’s an underdog. He comes from a hugely dysfunctional family. He’s loyal. Most importantly, he’s courageous when faced with horrible odds and immense evil. He never gives up. You have to love that.

Wesley, The Princess Bride, by William Goldman – "Death cannot stop true love." What a hero. He goes off to find his fortune so that he and Buttercup may marry, he’s abducted by a pirate pleads for his life, serves him for years, returns to rescue Buttercup from kidnappers, gets abducted himself, comes back from the dead and saves the day once again.

Mr. Darcy, Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen – Proud. Not too smooth with the ladies, although he’s handsome enough. He declares his love for Elizabeth in such a painful way that no one could believe she’d accept him. But he doesn’t stop loving her and continues to show his love in hidden ways, with the intent that she never find out. Longsuffering love. Honorable love. Of course, she does find out, her heart is softened and all works out well in the end.

These are the six that came to mind today. I fear I’m cheating out some great heroes and will likely remember more tomorrow. However, these will suffice for now. They represent what I love in heroes and what I hope to create in my own.

Katrina

1 comment:

Macy O'Neal said...

Katrina -- 50% of our choices are the same. I think we have similar tastes in heroes. I'd have to fight you for Adam, though. Yummy!
Macy